Curriculum vitae: Summary
Dr Ralph Chapman
Work address 34 Maarama Cres., Aro Valley, Wellington, 2.
Date of Birth 31 July 1951
Nationality New Zealand
PhD, Auckland University (Economics of the housing market) 1981
Master of Public Affairs (concentration: Economics), Princeton University, USA, 1975
Bachelor of Engineering (1st Hons), University of Auckland (Engineering Science) 1972.
Environmental economics; environmental strategy and policy
Sustainable development - including the 'economic-environmental interface.'
Professional positions held:
2006 -present: Associate Professor; Director, Graduate Programme in Environmental Studies, Victoria University of Wellington
2002 -present: Independent consulting (Maarama Consulting)
1994 -2002: Ministry for the Environment (Manager, Strategic Policy; Manager; Environmental Policy Group)
2002 Project work (the Netherlands) including for the OECD
2001 Part-time secondment to NZ Business Council for Sustainable Development
1997 Private sector consulting (Melbourne)
1993 Office of NZ Associate Minister of Finance: economic adviser
1990 - 93 The Treasury (New Zealand): manager of various 'sections'
1988 - 90 H M Treasury (United Kingdom): principal adviser
1982 - 88 The Treasury (New Zealand): analyst; then manager
1977 - 81 Lecturing, tutoring (Engineering School; Dept of Economics), University of Auckland.
Honours/distinctions/membership of societies, institutions, committees:
- For the OECD, member of international review team for three OECD Environmental Performance Reviews - in 2004, the USA; in 2003, Sweden; in 2002, the Netherlands (particular responsibility: 'economy - environment integration').
- Editorial Committee Member: Public Sector Journal, 2003 -
- Member, UN Environment Programme - New Zealand advisory/review group for "GEO3" (3rd Global Environmental Outlook), published June 2002.
- Member: Natural Resources Advisory Committee (and, earlier, Environment Group Advisory Committee) Institute for Geological and Nuclear Sciences: 1998-2000
- Board member: Brooklyn School Board of Trustees 1992-1995 (Finance Convenor)
- Recipient Princeton University Scholarship 1973
- Recipient University Grants Committee New Zealand Postgraduate Scholarship 1973
- Recipient Fulbright Travel Grant (to USA) 1973
- Member: International Society for Ecological Economics; Australia New Zealand Society for Ecological Economics: http://www.anzsee.org/
- Member: New Zealand Association of Economists
- Executive member: Living Streets Aotearoa: http://www.livingstreets.org.nz/admin.html
Major achievements in environmental, social and economic areas
- Major role (senior Ministry for the Environment input) in formulation of "The Government's Approach to Sustainable Development", August 2002, and central role - representing the Ministry for the Environment - in formulating New Zealand government positions on sustainable development (e.g. on Senior Officials Group on sustainable development)
- Member of Executive Management Group of the Ministry for the Environment for 5 years.
- Senior member of New Zealand negotiating team, Kyoto Protocol (1996-1998).
- Major contributor to Graduate course in Environmental Economics and Policy, Victoria University of Wellington; 2005.
- Invited speaker - conferences / presentations on environmental and sustainability issues e.g. Presentation to the first "Growth and Innovation Framework Christmas Seminar": interdepartmental seminar hosted by the Ministry of Economic Development, at the Treasury. Wellington, Dec. 2002.
- Regular invited speaker/ seminar leader at Australia New Zealand School of Government hosted by Victoria University of Wellington School of Government; Victoria University of Wellington and Wellington School of Medicine and Health Sciences on public policy; sustainable development; environmental policy
- Research (and publications) on public policy processes and comparative policy instrument choice.
Relationships with stakeholders
- Frequent consultation with wide range of parties with environmental policy interests, in role of developing strategic advice for Ministers (e.g. for 'Briefings for Incoming Minister" documents, and for "Environment 2010 Strategy"),
- In developing and implementing policy positions for the Ministry for the Environment and for the New Zealand government, wide experience of consulting with and working with stakeholders in central and local government, community groups/ NGOs, Maori and business sector, Crown Research Institutes.